Caring for your new dog
- Finding a reputable dog trainer. Access positive reinforcement/dog training resources in your area.
- Preparing your home for a new pet: Find advice on training, pet-proofing, and more.
- Introducing your cat to your new dog: Make both pets lifelong friends by letting them get to know each other in a phased approach.
- Introducing your dog to a new dog: Take a smart approach to bringing a new dog into the household. It could be the difference between a positive and negative experience.
- Keeping your dog safe. Get answers to frequently asked questions from veterinarian Andrea Moolenbook.
- Protecting your dog from getting lost.
- Training. We strongly support positive reinforcement for your dog. Positive reinforcement training provides a wonderful opportunity to reinforce your dog's skills, protect their safety, and bond with your dog. Some training certifications such as Canine Good Citizen® may even help you to save money on your homeowner’s insurance.
- Finding fun enrichment ideas for your dog. These can improve your pup's health and well-being.
- Teaching loose leash walking. Here's a great video for humanely teaching your dog to walk politely on a leash.
- Tackling barking issues. Barking is a normal behavior but there are many ways to help if your dog is barking excessively.
- Curbing counter surfing. Teach your dog not to grab food off the counter.
- Separation anxiety. Read a Q&A with Certified Separation Anxiety Trainer and author Malena de Martini-Price and discover hope for dogs suffering from this condition.
We’re happy to recommend trainers that use positive reinforcement methods such as clicker training and treats. Feel free to contact us for local trainer suggestions.