Lost & found pet resources
If you find a lost/stray animal or you have a missing pet, please check out our Pinterest lost & found board to see if your pet has been found or you can email us at email@example.com and we will post a flyer on our board. We encourage you to follow these guidelines from the Massachusetts Lost Pet Network before contacting the shelter.
- Notify your local Animal Control Officer, since Massachusetts ACOs now have the ability to create a statewide “SABER” alert, akin to the human “AMBER” alerts.
- Visit Missing Dogs Massachusetts so they can post your pet’s photo and description.
- Send pet updates, including pet sightings, to the Mass Lost Pets Network, along with a location or Google Map of where your pet was last seen.
Please include the following information in your email:
- Whether you are reporting a lost pet or a found pet
- Exact location where the pet was lost or found
- Date when the pet was lost or found
- Breed of pet
- The type and ID number of an implanted recovery microchip, if applicable
- Name of the pet, if known
- Description and distinguishing marks
- A few photos showing different aspects of the pet, if possible
- Your contact information
More tips on finding a lost pet:
- Put a piece of clothing that you’ve worn and/or their bedding outside. The smell can help attract your lost pet back home.
- Call vet offices and shelters in your town and surrounding towns. Some dogs and cats will roam far!
- Ask your local animal control officer to put out a SABER alert. It's an alert system that’s similar for dogs, similar to the AMBER alert system for missing children.
- Encourage people not to chase your dog if they see him or her, but to either contact you immediately or crouch down and calmly toss treats to lure him/her close to them. And try to avoid eye contact since that can be frightening.
- Spread the word online. Post your dog's photo on sites like Facebook and your local Patch and encourage people to spread the word.
- You can also buy lost pet postcards at sites like Lost Pet Cards.
- Find more tips on locating your lost pet.